Friday, October 8, 2010

What is wrong with me?

I never set out to get something from this person when I did things for her.  I babysat her kids for over a year for free, just an hour or so a day and our kids played well together so it was no big deal.  I took her family food when she was sick, I went over to watch the kids in the middle of the night when they had to go to the hospital (I had forgotten about this, her daughter reminded me).  It is just what neighbors and friends do, right?  

So, why am I hurt by her lack of response to me now?  I send her an email asking if she can help me out with something small and simple and she sends her daughter over to say "My mom can probably do that."  Then I never hear anything more and she doesn't do that.  I had not expected her to and I made other arrangements that were kind of a pain, but such is life sometimes.  I'm not going to go beg on her door step.  If she can't help, that is fine but a response would be nice, you know.  This isn't the first time something like this has happened.    

The neighbors all think I'm nuts.  I make my kids wear bike helmets, and I only let them jump on trampolines one at a time, and I make them ride in boosters until the adult seat belt actually fits them.  For this, I'm a safety freak.  That didn't used to bother me but it does now.  Mostly because I get questioned on why I feel the way I do and then when I tell them because it is safer they take offense like I'm looking down on them for not having the same requirements.  I never said that, they assume that.  Why is it that I'm judgmental simply because I have different rules?  Or beliefs? Or standards?  It is other people making assumptions.  I hate that.  I'm not going to change because someone is offended by what they think I think. 

I'm a jumbled, confused mess much of the time.  I don't get why I'm bothered by people ignoring me.  I don't get why people make assumptions.  I don't get why those assumptions bother me.  I don't get why those assumptions are starting to make me judgmental toward those who make them.  What is wrong with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment